Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Art of Mobile Photography

By Stephen Dahl
There is no doubt that today, mobile phone creators are constantly trying to get the upper hand when it comes to the camera on your phone.  Samsung and Apple are involved in an unrelenting battle to produce the best possible mobile camera for the consumer.  While the iPhone is currently the best-selling smartphone, Samsung is not too far behind with their Galaxy S models.  In my opinion, Apple has created the best smartphone camera.  I will demonstrate how I get the absolute most from my iPhone’s camera.
As a professional photographer, I am constantly exploring new ways to make my mobile photos look as impressive as possible.  It’s almost become a game to see just how great I can get my photos to look.  Although a smartphone’s camera can’t compare to a $2000 DSLR, you’d be surprised at what these cameras can do.
With Apple’s IOS 10 update, they enabled the iPhone to shoot in DNG (RAW) format instead of JPEG.  This feature can be accessed through certain apps.  Shooting in DNG opens up a whole new spectrum for editing and toning your photos.  No longer will your photos be stunted by the iPhone’s automatic noise reduction and grain reducer.  You are now able to tone your photos JUST as they were shot.  The Digital Photography School did a great job of explaining RAW format in greater detail.  Learn more about RAW vs. JPEG.

First off, I want to introduce you to Adobe Lightroom’s mobile app, Lightroom Mobile.  This app allows you to shoot your photos inside the app in DNG.  This app is incredible for shooting full resolution photos on your smartphone.  Simply select the camera in the bottom right corner to begin shooting. You can download the app here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-photoshop-lightroom/id878783582?mt=8.
Once you’ve taken some photos using the app, Lightroom Mobile stores the pictures you took inside the app.  Now it’s time to start toning your photos.  Lightroom Mobile comes equipped with just about every toning tool you’ll need.  You have the freedom to adjust the shadows, highlights, white balance, and many other aspects of the photo with a whole new perspective.  
It’s easy to pick up an iPhone and start shooting, but it’s up to you whether you are going to dive deeper into the camera and make your photos something special.  I hope you learned something new about getting the most from your smartphone camera.  Feel free to head over to my Instagram to view some other photos I’ve been shooting on my phone.  

Photography took my interest when I was only 14 years old.  For the past eight years, I’ve constantly been experimenting and discovering new ways to further enhance my techniques.  Trial and error plays a huge part in getting where you want your photos to be.  I hope that I could provide some insight on mobile photography and help you accomplish the kind of photos that you would like to show the world.
Before
After
Above and below are before and after photos of some pictures I took using this same method I just shared. Happy shooting!
Before
After

No comments:

Post a Comment