Sunday, November 9, 2014

Chicago Here I Come!

  By Brandi Kornguth

Chicago Skyline Panorama View by Donald Scwhartz


             One of my favorite times to travel is in the fall. The weather is usually much more pleasant, and nature really starts to be a show-off. Have you ever been through the mountains after the leaves have begun turning? Talk about beautiful.  Last year, my adventurous spirit took me on a road trip to Charlotte, N.C., and Atlanta for a weekend with good friends and good times. Where am I headed this time? Looks like I’ll be headed up to Chicago for Halloween weekend to see some friends of mine play a show at The Bottom Lounge. This trip will be loaded with firsts for me, such as my first plane ride in many years, experiencing this venue for the first time, and finally getting a chance to stay in Downtown Chicago.
 
             This trip has been much more involved as far as planning than many other trips I’ve taken in the past. I plan to share some of my favorite and most handy trip planning tips and tricks I’ve picked up on the way. Here we go!
 
Where Am I Going?
 
            Getting to experience a new place or an old favorite is one of the most exciting parts of traveling. Obviously, knowing where you’re going is important, but so is knowing about where you plan on going. I suggest doing some research into the area you plan to visit, especially if you’re unfamiliar with it. You’ll want to know what attractions are popular in the area.
 
            For this trip, I’ll be heading to a part of Chicago I’m unfamiliar with.  I was directed to www.choosechicago.com, which is an incredibly informative site on all Chicago has to offer. One of the site’s most interesting features is that it offers an interactive map for neighborhood and area in Chicago. You’re better able to plan for your trip and find accommodations if you have a better understanding of what your surroundings will be.
 
How Am I Getting There
 
            Whether you plan to travel by plane or vehicle, how you plan to get to your destination is incredibly vital. Nowadays, we’re all looking for the best deal. Traveling can get quite pricey, but there are several ways to save a little money and hassle. For example, knowing the best days price-wise to purchase plane tickets can help save a lot upfront. Also, knowing how early to arrive at the airport before your flight takes off is very important in the planning process.
 
            I discovered the site http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/top-10-tips-for-booking-cheap-flights/ to be a very informative on these subjects. I plan to fly for my upcoming trip and actually booked my flight through Southwest’s website. I got the best deals for my chosen travel days and times and the process of planning flights incredibly simple. Another great tip for those of you who are flying would be to check http://www.tsa.gov.traveler-information for information on what you can take on planes and answer any questions on the flight security process.
 
            For most of my trips, however, I tend more towards driving. You can actually use the gas calculator function on www.mapquest.com to see about how much your drive will cost you. Also, there’s really nothing like a road trip with friends. In that, it’s really more about the experience. Road trips are also great for sightseeing, and you can travel at your own pace. Depending on the duration of the trip, it would be wise to keep supplies with you. Important things may be food and beverages, chargers for electronic devices, books, and good music.
 
            Whichever means you use, making sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck and using the most convenient means of travel will make all the difference.
 
Where Am I Staying?
 
            Once you’ve figured out where you’re going and how you’re getting there, the next step is figuring out where you’re staying. Many useful sites like www.priceline.com and www.kayak.com can make the last two steps here a combined effort, and even help if renting a car is something you would need. First off, you need to know about the area you’re staying in as previously mentioned. Find out what’s going to be around you and what kind of area it is. I’ve used www.hotels.com for many of my lodging needs, but I’ve found that often times you find the best deals and room choices by booking directly through the hotel sites or parent company sites instead.
 
             For my trip to Chicago, I used www.hotels.com to narrow down the list of hotels I was interested in. I then went to each of the hotel’s sites to individually view and sift through each one. I found this method to really help me get what I needed at a reasonable price. Signing up for rewards programs at the hotels where you stay frequently can help you earn points towards things like free stays and promotions with local restaurants and businesses. I highly recommend this, especially if you plan to travel often.
 
            Looks like I’m all ready for my trip to Chicago, and now you know more about planning your own trips as well! Experiencing all the great things the world has to offer is what life is all about, and I hope this guide gets you started on your next adventure as well. Happy travels everyone!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment