Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Dos and Don'ts of Getting Tattooed


By: Christy Charernnam

        Before I even got tattooed, I knew what I was going get: Angel wings on my wrist.  The story behind this tattoo is heartfelt.  I was the only person around when my grandparents died of natural causes.  My mother called me an angel.  Later, I went to a small tattoo parlor in Murfreesboro, Tenn.  Back then, I didn’t know how much about tattoos except that they are painful.  I sat down in the chair.  The first five minutes were terrifying, but after that it wasn’t so bad.  From there on out, one led to two, and two led to a full sleeve.  After the angel wings, I found an amazing tattoo artist who captured the images I explained to him.  He has been inking my sleeve for four years and is waiting for me to come back and finish it.  I plan to return soon!



        The tattoo has been around for centuries.  It has been said to date back to 2000 B.C. on female mummies.  Back then, tattoos signified one’s culture or religion (something meaningful).  Most were from tribes or villages.  For example, my father has tattoos from head to toe.  They represent his village in Laos.  Nowadays, tattoos have become more acceptable, and many people are getting them.  However, I do not think some know what they are getting into.  The question is, why do you want one?  What are you getting?

            Since my father has tattoos all over his body, I have a few as well.  Even though mine aren’t considered tribal like his, they have a special meaning to me.  First, you want to make sure you want one... not if you can handle the pain, but the fact that you’re accepting a tattoo permanently.  Second, it is your body.  Do not let anyone get in your way.  My father was not very happy when he saw my first tattoo.  In his own words, he said it was not “lady like.”  Little does he know that tattooed women outnumber men.  The numbers are not as important though.  The important thing is knowing what you are getting yourself into.

        After finding out what you want, make sure it is something meaningful to you.  Remember that it is permanently staying on your body.  It’s important to mention that laser tattoo removal is an option.  As many as 50 percent of the people with tattoos get them removed.  Unfortunately, tattoo removal is more than getting an actual tattoo.  The removal requires many procedures.  After the therapy, you will have an ugly scar instead of a tattoo.  Therefore, think long and hard about what you want. 

  Some of the 50 percent who are getting tattoos removed are doing so because of their jobs.  Specific careers require employees to appear professional.  Still, what is the definition of “professionalism”?  According to Bank of America spokeswoman Ferris Morrison, the company has no restrictions when it comes to inked corporate employees.  Forbes displays a picture of a man in a doctor’s suit with no tattoos showing.  A picture on the right shows him undressed with tattoos galore.  I have been told I would not get a job because of my tattooed sleeve.  When I attend an interview, I wear long sleeves in an effort to obscure them.  I found that how you present yourself is most important.  After that, they will see your true colors, literally.  Overall, different companies have different policies.  Think about that as well.

        Lastly, before getting a tattoo, remember how the application process works and the aftercare.  Getting tattooed, involves the insertion of many needles into the skin barrier with ink.  So yes, it will hurt.  Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.  Depending on your pain tolerance, it will either feel like a pinch or a torch burning upon your skin.  Another factor on how painful it is involves its location on the body.  Different areas on your body tend to handle it better or less.  For example, your ribs will incur more pain because the needles are tapping into the skin on top of your bones.

        After you are finished getting your first tattoo, you will have to learn how to take good care of it to prevent infections.  A tattoo is essentially an open wound, so you have to medicate your wound for it to heal.  Open wounds without proper care come with health risks.  Ointments and serum wraps will help for the first few days.  The wraps will prevent any dust or dirt from entering the wound.  Cleaning it every day with antibacterial soap will help in the healing process.  Throughout the healing process, it will feel irritated, and your skin may peel.  It is just like a scar peeling from a wound.  Moisturizing will help.  If you have bright colors, it will help prevent fading.  If anything out of the ordinary happens, and it looks strange, you should consult your tattoo artist or a doctor as soon as possible.  That being said, if everything goes well, then you can show it off.  Continue with your regular skin products including sunscreen. 

        As it was previously stated, make sure you know what you want before going to a tattoo parlor.  A tattoo is permanent, but if you don’t like it, there is laser tattoo removal.  Tattooing can still work if a company says “no” to visible tattoos.  If they are okay with tattoos, make sure you take care of them properly.  I have a full tattooed sleeve, and I do not regret getting it one bit.  It has meaning to me, and if I ever need it to be covered, a long-sleeve shirt will help.

             Your body is a canvas.  Show it off! Here is a video that I thought was pretty neat.  It is tattooing close up in slow motion. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment