Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Soccer Lifestyle


By  Ismael Omana

Growing up with siblings who have been rather successful in sports was a challenge for me. When I was attending elementary school, I wasn’t involved in any athletics, so it was hard to pick a sport going into school. http://www.kes.rcs.k12.tn.us/

My brother played soccer in college for a small school in Georgia. The pressure that my family was pushing on me to become somewhat of a star like him was increasing by the day. My sister also played softball in college but only her freshman year due to an injury. My sixth grade year was coming up, and I still had no clue what sport to try and attend.

 I attended Kittrell Elementary School in Readyville, Tennessee. The school wasn’t known for sports at all and didn’t have a boys soccer team at the beginning of my sixth grade year. One day near the fall, I was sitting in my homeroom class when I decided to actually listen to the announcements. I heard something about a boys soccer team being organized for the first year. I went home really happy that day because I felt like I was going to give the sport a shot.

 I attended the first meeting with my mom, and I got my physical the next day. We have to keep in mind that I had never even touched a soccer ball by this point. I was extremely nervous at tryouts, but I knew I had a strong work ethic. It would take a lot out of me to actually not make it. I had finished tryouts, and the list of who made the team was posted on coach’s door the next morning.

I woke up the next morning and rushed my mom to take me to school because I was curious to see if I had made it or not. I got to the school with a great feeling that I had made it. I showed up to his class, and I took a look at the door. My name was the first one on the list! I have never been so happy, and I knew it was a start to actually becoming something like my siblings. Everything seemed to be going my way, and our first game was coming up really quick.

I still didn’t know anything about soccer though, I was really confused about what position to play. I talked to coach one day after a practice session, and I asked him what position to dedicate my time to.

 He said, “You are an athletic kid, and you should go for any position you want to because I believe you are capable to play anything.”

 It was definitely a confidence booster for me, and I took his advice. I like being the center of attention, so I decided to play forward because those players are typically the goal scorers.

My first season went by quickly, and I was blessed to receive the award for most goals in my division. I was really happy, and it was a gift to be so good at a sport that I had no knowledge about. http://www.dnj.com/picture-gallery/sports/high-school/2016/05/11/oakland-soccer-2-riverdale-1/84225516/

 

 

 

After my elementary school season, I transferred to Oakland Middle School where I tried out for the soccer team. It was the school’s first year being open, so no one thought that we were going to be good. This is the year I broke my toe during practice, and our first game was the next day. I went to TOA in Murfreesboro, and they couldn’t really do much about a broken toe. Healing for that injury takes time, and that’s something I didn’t have. I was really sad, but I came back half way through the season! I received an award for being best forward player in our district. I felt extremely blessed to finally be dedicated to a sport.

Then after my middle school career, I played for Oakland High School. I didn’t play freshman year due to a knee injury. I came back sophomore year starting varsity the next three years. I had a few college coaches come see me play, but the school’s offer wasn’t sufficient enough for me. I received offers from three different colleges, but I decided not to take any because they were all really distanced from home. http://www.ohs.rcschools.net/Athletics/Boys%20Soccer/index.html

My senior year of Oakland High School I joined a club team for the off-season. I played for Nashville Futbol Club http://www.nashvillesc.com/ for one year, and I got plenty of soccer recognition. Colleges from all over the eastern side of town, came to all the tournaments. NFC. has been advancing with their soccer program. They have registered to become a real MLS team. In a couple years, Nashville will be known as a major soccer city.

In order to prepare for an event like this, you have to work hard. This requires soccer experience. I will be trying out for the Division 2 team next summer, so I need to be in shape in order to compete with professionals.

I have plenty of experience in the sport, and I’m currently getting prepared for some college tryouts for next summer. The main issue for getting prepared is the time to do it. I’m a full time student who also works the time I’m not at school. In order to be able to practice I will need to manage my time better. This will help me have time for working out getting in shape, and practicing all sorts of drills. In the near future I plan on transferring to play soccer for MTSU after my two years of Tennessee promise. The reason I didn’t go to MTSU straight after high school to play soccer was because of a knee injury that has been holding me back. I wish injuries didn’t exist, because it stops athletes from pursuing their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment