Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Tennis and My Life

By Taylor Graalman

Tennis has been a great sport and asset in my life. It has blessed me with the chance to do something with myself. I have Played tennis from when I was a little child to high school and college.  

When I was around 5 years old, I was fortunate enough to play on a stadium court in front of a crowd of people. In the picture below, Wayne Bryan, father of the most winning doubles team in history, is asking me questions. I had been playing tennis for a few years at this point. This really was the spark of my love for tennis and how it has shaped my life.
Myself wearing a MTSU shirt next to Wayne Bryan

In the picture above, you see that I am currently wearing a Middle Tennessee State University shirt. After what happened, I was beginning to make connections. I was fortunate enough to become the first live mascot for this college. I was 8 years old at the time and was always around the guys on the team. They had an amazing season where they made it into the NCAA Tournament.
Tennis at Siegel Middle School
While at Siegel Middle School in Murfreesboro, I was fortunate to play at the number one spot out of six and I would meet lifelong friends. We had a stellar team, winning the team tournament all three years. We were one of the best teams to come through middle school in Rutherford County history.
Tennis Tournament for the USTA in Huntsville, Alabama 

During my time at Siegel High School, I played in many tournaments around the South traveling to such states as Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi and Alabama for the United States Tennis Association League. Like life, these tournaments had many ups and downs. The best part was always learning something new about myself good or bad. I won more matches than I lost, but the loses always stuck with me more. If anyone is interested in signing up for the USTA and play in tournaments, visit this. https://www.usta.com/

Playing for Siegel High School
While I was at Siegel, I was fortunate to play number one for all four years. I was coached by Jeff Martin, who also taught me how to be a better person on and off the court. Siegel and I were three-time state semifinalists. I made it to state competition as an individual four times and winning a quarterfinalist twice, and a semifinalist twice. Also, I was fortunate enough to be The Daily News Journal Male Tennis Player of the Year for three years in a row. It really gave me confidence and helped me accomplish what I did this summer.

Coaching in Connecticut
This summer, largely due to my connection as a mascot for MTSU, I was fortunate enough to get a job as a tennis pro in Connecticut. I taught many different people from young to old and made great connections. As a tennis pro, I worked six days a week from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. It was not an easy job as most might think. I learned more this summer than I did my freshman year of college.

For anyone wanting to improve their game and to win more matches, key to greater improvement is to increase footwork and focus. When I was playing a match where I was losing 6-2, 5-2 that is what I did to create a comeback. I have seen plenty reach new heights by increasing these two simple things. Here is a link to improve your consistency. http://www.active.com/tennis/articles/10-steps-to-improve-your-consistency

That is just a few ways how tennis has helped to shape my life. Like a tennis match, life has many ups and downs. I have been fortunate and blessed to be able to live the life I want because of this sport. If you want to know more follow me on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/taylor.graalman and https://www.instagram.com/graalmanater/?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment