Wednesday, March 21, 2018

It Seems Like Yesterday...


By Bill Kraus
Motlow Buzz Contributing Writer


        As we approach the groundbreaking of our third building here at the Smyrna campus, it does seem like yesterday when I began my affiliation with Motlow State Community College. It was in 2005, and I came to the school, which was held on the second floor of the Tennessee National Guard facilities further east of our present school. When I first entered the building, I noticed many Army personnel and found among those on the first floor, a small handful of our students. I am not sure how many classes were being offered at that time, but few, I am sure, and I would imagine that our total student body numbered in the hundreds rather than today's thousands.


        Here it is 13 years later in my "Motlow life," and we are about to add another 80,000-plus square feet in college facilities. Having been through two previous groundbreaking and dedication ceremonies, this is just one more step in our growth and development. The plans and design for the latest in our campus development are beautiful and very impressive.

        However, as I look forward to the opening of this badly needed added facility, I am reminded what makes this school excellent and successful. While the campus physically will be very impressive and indeed an asset for the Town of Smyrna, the true mark of success is the fantastic group of students here, a most responsive staff and leadership, and last, but certainly not least, the very dedicated and committed faculty, both regular and adjunct. The continued growth of our campus, as clearly evidenced by the upcoming groundbreaking of the new building, is a direct result of tremendous hard work that has gone into this college by the "Team."

Dr. William H. "Bill" Kraus, adjunct professor of political science

        We have come a long way from the facilities at the Tennessee National Guard, and I wonder how we will look and be as a college in the next 13 years in 2031. Any guesses or projections?

        Another chapter of Motlow State in Smyrna is unfolding....


No comments:

Post a Comment