Tuesday, March 20, 2018

What Students and Faculty Say...


        “The third building is symbolic of our growth both as a community and as a college. Motlow is going to be at the forefront of a new wave of education. As much as I love sharing an office with five other professors, I think we will all appreciate being able to stretch out a bit.” – Felicia Brown, Instructor of Sociology

***

        “I am a non-traditional college student with four children and three grandchildren that has been attending Motlow part time while trying to complete a degree that I started 30 years ago. With the addition of the Tennessee Reconnect program, my dream becomes one step closer to becoming a reality. The addition of a third building to Motlow’s Smyrna campus is vitally important as it's integral to the success of myself and others by adding much-needed classroom facilities. By doing so, it helps students to better position ourselves to accomplish our goals of achieving a college education.” – George Romano, student member of Phi Theta Kappa

***



        “I am excited about a third building at Motlow because it will have extra space for classes and hopefully a larger library! I am also excited to be a part of opening of the building next year that is in place to help people like myself make a better future for themselves.” – Jessica Shaver, Motlow Smyrna student

***

        “In the past two to three years, Community colleges have become more prevalent, and not exclusively within the southern regions. Community colleges have expanded nationally, while allowing scholars to have a chance at education without an absurd price. In addition to that, community colleges have lost their representation of not being a "real education" or place where "dumb people"  attend. This growth is important to Motlow because of the opportunities and personal assistance Motlow has to offer. One can only hope that as Motlow expands that it keeps the same personal connection it has with its students in order for future generations to experience college at a different level.” – Je’Juan Henderson, Motlow Smyrna student

***



        “When I attended my first in-service meeting as a newly hired (Fall 2009) adjunct in math, our faculty meeting was buzzing with the possibility of a record enrollment of 1,500. Motlow/Smyrna only had the one small building, and the school had only recently left the National Guard facility. On the first day of classes, I asked Karen Hudson if we had reached the 1,500 mark. She said that we were well over it! 

        Some 50 adjuncts shared one small office and a handful of computers. Classes were very full. For a time, as attendance grew, classes were even held on Saturdays and Sundays.

        We now have the MLA Building, and it seems that the cohesiveness of our school site is more difficult to maintain since we don't see "everybody" that is connected to our school. With a third building, the school's closeness may be even more difficult to maintain. But the potential for a great education will be enhanced by the new and more spacious building. I have been greatly pleased with the improvements in facilities, but the most satisfying thing to me is to see the willingness of my faculty colleagues to share cramped quarters and also put forth great effort to make the best of a difficult but improving situation. As an adjunct, I have not seen every aspect of the operation of the school. But with the talented and dedicated staff that is here, I am excited to imagine how great this campus can be with more adequate facilities.” – Kenneth L. Thomas, Adjunct Professor of Math

***

        “Yay! The bigger the school, the more classes to offer here in Smyrna. That way, I don't have to drive to another school branch for a certain class.” – Rosalie Kuhn, Motlow Smyrna student

***

        “Growth, close conditions, and strong bonds have always been a part of Motlow Smyrna and its success. I remember touring the AWJ building with Moltow Smyrna Site Director George Ortega. The building had not yet opened, and it just seemed so huge (which compared to the Armory it was)! We outgrew it quickly, but we all worked together to take care of each other and our students regardless of the challenges. It's been the same ever since. That third building, to me, will symbolize the Smyrna way: we work together, we take care of each other, we take care of our students. That is our tradition. That is our identity.” – Heather Koller, Professor of History


***


          “I have always been a strong supporter of initiatives and investments that enhance education opportunities for residents in our community and state. I am pleased that the State Building Commission has made this important investment in Rutherford County, and I am thankful for the Commission's support.” – Tennessee State Rep. Mike Sparks, former Motlow Smyrna student

***

        “I live about 30 miles from our Smyrna campus, but I will be there for this historic groundbreaking ceremony on Friday, the 23rd. I began teaching @ the National Guard facility in fall 2000, and have taught in both of our present buildings. I look forward to teaching in the new one next year. It is exciting to see our continued growth!” – Ben Jobe, Adjunct Professor of Music


***

        “I am really excited because I hear great things about the building. I have heard that they are going to put in new classes, and it makes me excited to see how we are going to expand the curriculum. It is great to see how the campus has changed since I have been here.” – Parker Shoemaker, Motlow Smyrna student






No comments:

Post a Comment