Tuesday, April 9, 2019

How to Open Your Own Bakery

By Gheria King
Motlow Buzz Contributing Writing
 
      Have you ever dreamed of opening your own bakery?



      Baking is my favorite hobby. It is relaxing, and I get the chance to show my creativity in decorating cakes and cupcakes. I have worked at a Walmart bakery for four years and Publix bakery for two years. One day I would like to have my own bakery. Baking is a career that I could see myself actually happy about doing. My advice working in a bakery is that it gets messy, it’s a fun environment, and you will have a lot of production to do especially on holidays.

      Following are some tips I've learned from my experience as a baker and future bakery owner. One day, I hope you'll drop by my bakery to explore my wide range of baked goods.
Where to begin:
     Before looking for space and hiring your associates, it is important for you to sit down and figure out what you would like to accomplish when opening up your own successful bakery. You will need to create a budget, the name of your bakery, decorating themes, menu, and hiring needs.
Business Plan:
The next thing you need to do is to come up with your business plan. According to Maria Rapetskaya, the creative director of Undefined Creative, “A business plan is a written description of your business’s future, a document that tells what you plan to do and how you plan to do it.” You can read the article at https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/247574.
Come up with a list of the baked goods that you’d like to sell. Then you’ll need to look up rent prices in your area. Make sure that you are comfortable with the area you choose. You will also need to know the cost of equipment and ingredients.
It is very important to know your budget. Running a business will always cost a little bit more than you think. I have experience handling inventory costs. I’ve learned that one needs to make sure he or she orders enough product and essential items such as boxes, receipts and products.


Naming Your Bakery:
Third, choose the name of your bakery. Make sure the name stands out and is unique. Imagine your customers walking toward your bakery and seeing a name that stands out well. A good name will attract customers. Once you come up with a bakery name, find someone who can professionally build a website for you.

     For example, I plan to call my bakery Gheria's Baked Goods.
Use your creativity to create decorative displays. Imagine customers coming to your bakery for the first time and receiving a lasting impression.
Create Your Menu:
Fourth, create a menu that includes a wide range of cakes, flavors, icings and pastries. Think about what flavors are popular in your city. According to Alice Jackson, a business consultant, “this helps customers make purchases more easily.” Learn more at https://www.designhill.com/design-blog/top-10-tips-for-starting-your-own-bakery-business/ .

 For example, my bakery will feature homemade cupcakes, pastries and cakes.
 Make sure to test your goods before selling them, ask your family and friends to try your baked goods. When coming up with prices, think about how you would like your cakes to be packaged. Options include bags and containers.
Gather Your Information:
Lastly, you will need a contract for your associates to sign. This is very important because an associate could copy your recipes and start his or her own business. You also need associates to agree on a salary and work schedule.
     If baking is your passion, then go for it. Do what you enjoy doing. You never know where following your baking dreams will take you. All it takes is flour, sugar and determination.


No comments:

Post a Comment