Monday, November 16, 2015

Becoming a Nurse


By Jaalah Verge

                                The beginning of my senior year on Aug. 7, 2014, I decided that I wanted to become an RN nurse. I had to second guess myself because I wanted to do something in the criminal justice field. When I kept thinking about nursing, I told myself it would be a great fit for me because I’m really good with people and kids. When I was little, I would always carry around my little nurse kit and try to practice on people. I started out at a young age wanting to be a nurse. Some of my family members would tell me they thought nursing would be a great fit for me. I love taking care of people and making sure they get the right kind of medicine to make them feel better.

            Nurses work closely with doctors and other health care professionals and serve as the advocates for patients and families. Overall, nurses can assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Nurse practitioners (NP) work in clinics, nursing homes, hospitals, or private offices. They provide a wide range of primary and preventive health care services, prescribe medication, and diagnose and treat minor illness and injuries. For many entry levels for nursing jobs, applicants need at least a diploma from a nursing program by the National League for Nursing. However, most employers prefer applicants with an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in nursing, along with a state license to become an RN. If you want more information, you can visit the following website http://www.learnhowtobecome.org/nurse/.

                        One day I had to job shadow my doctor and his nurse for school. It felt like I was the actual nurse. I had to check everyone’s blood pressure, ears, mouth, nose and heartbeat. The coolest part was when I gave a patient his or her shots. It kind of gave me chills, but I just kept doing what I had to do. I have realized that when working with little kids, you have to have a lot of patience with them. As for adults, it’s way different. They are really easy to work with and function with.

                        Every time I go to the doctor I just get this happy feeling because one day that will be me helping a patient. I always tell myself that I can’t wait to make good money and be able to help my family out. I can’t wait to become a nurse one day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment