Thursday, April 6, 2017

Are the '80s and '90s Slowly Taking Over the Fashion Trends?

By Gamari James
Motlow Buzz Reporter

            Have you ever looked at today’s fashion and wondered, “Wow this looks familiar”?
Well, it’s because you most likely have seen these trends before. Maybe it was on an older TV show or movie that was made during these times? (“Breakfast Club”, “Back to the Future”, “Do the Right Thing”, or etc.) Maybe seeing John Nelson playing John in “The Breakfast Club” with his cool, slouchy, and very vintage denim jacket inspired or brought back memories.
Image result for breakfast club I know personally it has inspired most of my style and look when it comes to clothing. I know I didn’t grow up that much in the ‘90s, since I was born in 1997. But these movies and TV shows allow me to be inspired and soak in these different times and generations.
 I’m the type of person who is very versatile when it comes to fashion. I like to mix cultures and genres, while still maintaining to make it my own. I’ve always been told, “You look very vintage sometimes.” That might be true, hence the fact that most of my clothes might actually be from the late ‘80s to the late ‘90s. This is because I usually only shop at thrift stores. I might come across a TV show like “Fresh Prince” or” Full House,” and I think to myself, “Wow those ripped jeans and washed jean jacket would look great together.”
I guess I can thank my grandma for most of my thrifting habits. As a kid, my family didn’t have a lot to work with, so all we did was thrift on a budget. During that time, I hated going to the Goodwill and thought it was embarrassing. But, now that I’m a young adult, I instill those “balling on a budget” skills when I go thrifting today. Besides, I was 18 and fresh out of high school when I first moved into a house with an itch for fashion and different styles. So what better time was it for me to pick up this habit again in my life.
 It’s funny because, when I first starting thrifting back when I was a freshman, most people laughed when I told them where I got a particular shirt or sweater from. Now, since a lot of the old styles (‘80s and ‘90s) are making their way back around. I’m almost praised when people realize where I’ve gotten my clothes from. I’ve kept it consistent since then. I have tons of clothes that have kept up with the styles and trends over time.

          Do you remember those wild colors that Nautica came out with in the ‘80s that trickled down to mid- ‘90s? Well, they are making their way back around with a full force these days. A famous rapper by the name of Lil Yachty started rocking later Nautica pieces in a new and hip way. The guy basically branded himself with their logo (Lil Boat). I think Nautica did a brilliant move by officially endorsing him. He brings a lot of youth and spontaneity back to a brand that originally had a targeted audience of wealthy, white males. Not only is Nautica doing things like this, but several other companies are turning back their clocks when it comes to fashion. Brands like Stussy, Supreme, and even Jordan with its retro shoes are just a few to name who have brought back a lot of their old styles.
            There are different and more modern ways of achieving these styles as well. You can visit websites like http://www.rustyzipper.com. This website has different categories you can choose from that can really tackle the certain style you’re trying to obtain. If you’re in the downtown Nashville area. You can visit stores like Urban Outfitters. Urban Outfitters does a great job of modernizing the vintage image. Their clothes are of high quality with somewhat reasonable prices. Another store that seems like it is straight out of the golden age is Star Struck. If you really dig through the clothing there, you can find some really dope styles and even cultures there.
            In my opinion, I think the best way to achieve these particular styles “to a T”, is by simply going into your local thrift store and searching for these clothes. This is the most genuine and cheapest route you can take. Even though, I love the fact that these brands are bringing back those styles. I also have to take into account that these same brands are recycling those same old styles and reselling them for outlandish prices. When I go into a thrift store, it almost feels like I’ve taken a trip into a time machine sometimes. Even till this day, I’m still very surprised at some of the stuff I find and the condition it's in. The best part about it is that I’m spending probably a fraction of what I would pay in the store.
            What exactly did people wear in the ‘80s and ‘90s that have found their way back to 2017? Well there is a list of items that have stood the test of time: Plain T-shirts with iron on letters, denim clothing (jackets and ripped jeans), and leggings for women have made huge comebacks. When I go out to DJ parties and small clubs, I try to obtain a certain style, one that is compatible with the music I’m playing. Since I’m going to be playing mostly Hip hop/R&B style songs, I always like to throw some old hits in there as well, just to throw the crowd off into a cool but familiar place. I might wear a black T-shirt with a ‘90s theme on it like Neil Young. Then I might top that shirt with a beat up, jean jacket, with some ripped black jeans, while rocking some All-Star Adidas.  
If you want to see these different styles I’ve named, there is a great article by Jian Deleon ,who goes into great detail about the different fashions during the ‘80s.http://www.complex.com/style/the-80-greatest-80s-fashion-trends/
            

No comments:

Post a Comment